Health Benefits of Bay Leaf
Bay leaves are mostly used in curries, biryani, soups, and other Indian dishes. Popularly known by the name “tej patta”, bay leaf is a vital ingredient of Indian cuisine as it helps in enhancing their taste. This culinary herb has a unique flavor and odor.
Apart from this, bay leaves are also famous for their medicinal properties. Scientifically known by the name ” Laurus Nobilis”, bay leaves are used for treating various diseases. Bay leaf is a nutrient herb because it comes with compounds like vitamin A, Vitamin C, folic acid, and some other essential minerals.
Not only does it enhance the flavor of dishes, but also provides various health benefits that are easily noticeable.
Some of the benefits of bay leaf are listed below:
- Improve digestion– Bay leaf is said to have a very significant effect on the gastrointestinal system. It plays a vital role in decreasing the noxiousness of your body and further helps in its well functioning. Organic compounds such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and folic acid that are found in bay leaves help in resolving a distressed stomach and calming IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). Bay leaf also helps in the easy digestion of complex proteins that cannot be easily digested by the body. The distinctive enzymes that are found in bay leaves help you in easing digestion.
- A close friend of people who are suffering from heart disease – Organic compounds such as caffeic acid and rutin, that are present in bay leaves helps in improving the health of your heart. They both ( Caffeic acid and rutin ) give strength to the capillary walls of your heart and further put an end to LDL and bad cholesterol.
- The perfect medicine for diabetes – According to the periodical of Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition, if you want to see a significant drop in cholesterol, blood glucose, and triglycerides then you must consume 1-3 grams of bay leaf for a total of 30 days. The regular consumption of bay leaves also helps in enhancing your insulin function, which is a blessing for diabetes patients.
- Helps in reducing stress –In this modern world, stress and burden are very common words. In order to control stress better, add bay leaves to your regular food habit. Linalool that is found in bay leaves, will help you in lowering your stress level. The regular consumption of bay leaves also helps in calming your mind and fighting signs of depression.
- A herb perfect in protecting your body from swelling –One of the most crucial benefits of the consumption of bay leaves is that it has anti-swelling properties; thanks to the existence of a distinctive phytonutrient named parthenolide, it helps in reducing your swelling significantly. It also decreases the chance of developing a joint disease called “Arthritis”.
- Can it treat Kidney stones?– In a study done in 2014, scientists try to find out whether a belief could cure kidney stones or not. The results were quite shocking, scientists found that the regular consumption of bay leaf along with some other traditional medicinal herbs can decrease the quantity of urease. Urease is an enzyme that is responsible for various gastric disorders such as kidney stones.
- Can it exile Brain Disorders? – It is written in ancient texts that the regular consumption of bay leaf can help in treating seizures. Scientists try to find out whether this theory is true or not. They found that the extract of the bay leaf is beneficial in protecting rights against seizures. It was possible because of the distinctive chemical components of bay leaves. Scientists have not started to study the effect of bay leaf extracts on humans. They are trying to cure people who are diagnosed with epilepsy.
- Protects your body from fungal infection- In research scientists have found that bay leaves come with antifungal properties. These properties defend your skin from any outside material that might cause infection or irritation. By adding a bay leaf to your diet you can form a protective layer that will stop bacteria and other foreign materials from entering the membrane.
Facts Related to Bay Leaf:
A bay leaf never brings any change to the nutrition value of the dish. Typically, people remove the leaf from the dish before eating it. A 1-tablespoon of crumbled bay leaf provides 5 calories of carbohydrates.
Some of the micronutrients that are present in bay leaves are Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, magnesium, calcium, iron, and Vitamin C.
Some people also love tea that is made with bay leaves, they also add bay leaves in water with which they bathe, and even add crumbled bay leaves in their skin cream.
Bay leaves are also used in treating diseases like cancer, gas, joint pains, and dandruff. However, scientists don’t promote the use of bay leaves in such conditions.
There are only a few people who say that bay leaves have helped them in curing diabetes mellitus.
Bay leaves are also useful in curing hair fall and hair follicles.
Side effects of bay leaf:
It is very dangerous to consume a whole bay leaf. The leaf remains unbroken and it will become very hard to. It may get stuck in your throat and cause damage to it.
It is safe to consume a small amount of bay leaf and a grounded bay leaf. It is also safe if you are consuming bay leaf for a medical purpose only for a short period of time. However, there is no evidence to find out the effect of the high consumption of bay leaf.
Recipe of famous Bay Leaf tea:
- 16 ounce of water
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1-2 juicy lemons
Place all the ingredients together in a utensil, put the utensil on the stove, and wait till it boils. That’s all, drink it whenever you want.
The regular consumption of bay leaf tea will help you in calming your mind and reducing the level of stress. The aromatic odor of the leaves is very soothing and the quintessence of the spiced tea makes the tea more mouth-watering.